Each centre has regular excursions into our community. The Hillcrest centres with the younger children have walks around the University.
The older children at our centres have regular excursions into the community. Some go to places like the ngahere (forest) to learn about the natural world. Others might look at cultural places of interest or other aspects of our wider community.
Through offering children these opportunities, we aim to provide:
- Time to explore, discover and become competent, confident learners in the natural, cultural and social world.
- To learn about risk-taking
- To develop and enhance their sense of wonderment, awe and curiosity for the natural world and their community.
- To appreciate the changes of seasons in nature.
- Atua, the spiritual guardians.
- Learn to appreciate and care for papatuanuku.